Friday dawned sunny again (sorry Seattle) and the temperature quickly climbed into the 70's as we hopped into a taxi and headed for Costco to re-provision Spirit with fresh produce and meats for the next several weeks. We needed a van to hold everything, and several trips down the dock to get it all on-board. Our dock is in the middle of the tourist paths and just below the "Twisted Fish" restaurant and the Taku fish company, so Miriam guarded the pile of stuff while Patrick hauled carts of stuff through the tourists down to the boat. This will probably be our only stop in Juneau, and the only Costco we will see until we return to Anacortes.
The good weather means the pollen is still thick and the medications are not quite up to the task. However, we gladly will trade that for no rain and no wind.
The weather was so nice that a group of young people came down the dock and went swimming in the 50 degree water. They used our swim step to get out, so we have now verified that it works just fine. There were four cruise ships here yesterday, the last one leaving after 11PM.
Saturday morning was a repeat of Friday, with clear skies and pleasant temperatures as we waited for Julie and Kathleen to arrive. The town will be quiet compared to yesterday, with only one cruise ship planned. Julie and Kathleen arrived about 10 AM, and after unpacking we got in our "rent-a-wreck" rental and tried to find the Fedex office. They are closed on weekends! We compensated by stopping by Alaskan Brewing and sampling several varieties before completing grocery shopping at Costco and Safeway. Back to the boat for lunch in the sun, out on the bow and then Julie and Kathleen went up the aerial tram. We understand that the two ladies cut quite a path through downtown Juneau. Does the "Lucky Irish Lady" mean anything to anybody? We will edit the pictures and find out the truth. We go to the "Twisted Fish" at the head of the dock later tonight for dinner.
Patrick called the Yakutat weather station to decide on our itinerary. The weather is predicted to get rough on the outside (up to 14 foot waves plus a swell, 30 knot winds) and Yakutat recommended we stay inside, so we will retrace our steps to Tracy Arm Cove, look at Endicott Arm, Pybus Bay, Baronof Hot Springs, Tenakee Springs, through Peril Strait to Sitka. We do not expect either phone or email until we get close to Sitka in 5 days or so.